Saturday, June 2, 2012

Norway v. Croatia, and Preparations for Euro 2012

Good day to you Blogosphere,

After another consecutive night of sleeping 3-to-noon, I was sweetly awakened by a phone call from my lovely fiancee, telling me to get the heck out of bed. My plan (still just a plan) is to fix this stupid sleep schedule, but I am having some trouble doing so. Whether I change my schedule or not, this afternoon has been a good one so far.

Rolling out of bed, the first electrons fired in my brain said: "Soccer?". So after a hasty search of ESPN3, I found the Norway-Croatia Friendly. I haven't watched an International game since the last World Cup, and things have not-at-all-changed. My initial impression was: "Man, these guys must be playing on ice-skates, because the slightest knock and they're down". Here in the 37th minute, things have gotten better, although I don't particularly favor either of these two teams. If I had to pick one, I guess I would prefer a Norwegian win, because of their proximity to Sweden.

So far, the game has been uninspiring. In reference to the upcoming Euro Cup, it is understandable that Norway will not be participating; They shouldn't really be a contender among European teams. Croatia, on the other hand, will be present in Poland/Ukraine later this month, contending in Group C alongside Ireland, Italy, and current World Champions Spain. If Croatia hopes to advance out of the group stage, they will need to play a much more precise and disciplined game to overcome the Italians and Spanish.
As a part of me getting psyched-up for Euro 2012, I have realized that this will be my first international sporting event after being called to Sweden. So for the first time (hopefully of many), I will find myself supporting Sweden wholeheartedly. I don't know how this will go for them, but I am excited to be cheering them on for the first time. They will be in a grueling Group D, alongside England, France, and co-Hosts Ukraine, and I cannot comment on how hard/easy it will be because I've never seen them play a game. Failing an online-stream of their games, I will be going to the local imitation-English Pub (thankfully run by a legitimate Brit), where I will no doubt be a spec of blue and yellow in the middle of a crowd of red and white, at least for the England game. Concluding statement of the blog, minus strange-vowels: Jag Alska min Sverige!



Oh, and in the half-time montage for Norway-Croatia, they are playing the theme from the Chronicles of Narnia... Remixed?

1 comment: