Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Brace Yourself... Soccer Posts Are Coming

     Just as it was in the Summer of 2010, the United States seems to have developed a sudden taste for the World's Game, and just as happened that Fall, it will soon disappear.

     It's all about hype, and clever marketing by ESPN (a puppet of Disney). Based on the number of Vuvuzelas found in garbage dumps in the Fall of 2010, it is safe to say that the last World Cup did little more than create temporary Mr. Hydes out of the American sporting community. In those days, many of my not-so-dear acquaintances caught 'The Fever', only to be mysteriously cured in the weeks after Spain's triumph over the Netherlands. 

Manchester City 

Manchester United



     I'll be getting, doubly-angry this year, like a hipster whose favorite band has just 'sold-out'. This comes first from the International stage, as all of the sometime soccer fans come out of the woodwork, only to disappear when the lights come on. In addition, my favorite professional club, Manchester City, won the EPL a few weeks ago. While I am very excited that my team won it's first championship in my brief history of love for the game, I have the good sense to know what is coming... One-hundred-thousand young American fans wearing powder blue jerseys to school, the constant Facebook posts about how 'great' a team City is, and the Dick's Sporting Goods displays. For anyone who doesn't know what I mean, just remember how much Manchester United paraphernalia you've been seeing over the past few years, and just change the colors from red to blue.  

   My mantra in fandom is usually clear: Go Big or Go Home. So stems my arrogant attitude to fair-weather and bandwagon fans. But now onto something more interesting...

***
   Part two of this article is the good news: Sweden plays today! As I write, I am occupying myself by watching the Sweden v. Serbia friendly, their last before the Euros. As I'm not familiar with my newly-supported national team, I have no idea if they're playing above or below par. However, their capitalization on the slippery hands of the Serbian keeper Stojkovic impressed me, as did their creativity in passing. What I'm not liking about the Swedes' strategy is their press-style. Their playing scheme, in pressing, is just like my fan-style: When their forwards go forward, they go forward, and they stay there, even on the defense. Not my cup of tea. Honestly, as a preference, I would rather see a more defensive, ball-control style like Spain plays, with their typical (think South Africa 2010) one goal victories, constantly probing, controlling, and setting the tempo. But, I'm sure the Sweden Manager knows much more about the sport than I do, so I will leave my preferences buried somewhere under the expertise of the professional. 
     It is currently half-time of this affair between Sweden and Serbia, and I've been fairly impressed with both sides. Sweden's keeper (I'll eventually learn his name) has made some fantastic stops, despite letting one in at 27 minutes. I expect a second half in which Zlatan Ibrahimovic shows more on the attack, and Sweden will hopefully come away with a 3-1 confidence booster over the Serbs. If not, then all I can do as a fan is hang in their for Group D next week, and analyze my new team's playing style. 

(l-r) England, France, Sweden, and Ukraine square-off in Group D.


     Since I mentioned Group D, here is my *amateur analysis: England is overrated, they always have been. And with three potential starters gone with injury, in addition to the loss of Wayne Rooney for the first two games, England is lacking in the extreme. Let's face it, they will be lucky to clear the Group Stage. 

     Believe it or not, sports fans, I believe that France has mostly recovered from the debacle of South Africa, and look for them to advance out of a moderately challenging Group D. They are, in my opinion, going to lead the way out of their Group.

     The love I have for the Swedes may not earn them first place in the Group, but I think that with some hard work, perseverance, and a good showing against England, they will edge out second place, advancing to knockouts. 

     I know little to nothing about co-hosts Ukraine. I've never seen them play, and they are entirely foreign to me. They seem to be a balanced team, and have a chance at beating England, and will most likely draw or beat Sweden close. Group D order: France (advancing), Sweden (advancing), England, and Ukraine. England and Ukraine will tie in points, but Goal Difference will put the English ahead.

1 comment: