Wednesday, May 30, 2012

What I Don't Know About Art

I was browsing the Fine Art section of allposters.com today, when I came across an image straight out of my high-school history class.
It is without a doubt the most well-known of Friedrich's works- The Wanderer Above the Sea of Fog. Upon seeing it, I decided to search a bit more to see if there was anything else of his that I enjoyed, or could relate to.   And then I came across this gem:
With my absolutely nonexistent knowledge of art, I fell deeply in love with this single work. Not because of any method,  or because of the beauty of it all; No, I most admire the story that Friedrich tells in each of his works. There is a reason why I would prefer the life of the author to the life of the illustrator, (besides being terrible with a paintbrush) and that is the desire for story. To me, each of Friedrich's works details a snippet of some grand storyline, in which you can already see that it is just the smaller part of some larger world. There is an emphasis on location, which just gets me excited as a left-brained, literary-type. Friedrich leaves so much possibility for the existence and goings-on of the world around his paintings, and that is why I adore his work. I hope that my more-artistically inclined friends will tell me of my folly, or of how correct I am, but I am definitely a fan of Friedrich and his fellow romantics. Here are a few more that I really love.




2 comments:

  1. Yup, paintings of his up everywhere in the appartment, love ;) I really like that first one A LOT!!! Do you know where we can get them from without paying hundreds of dollars? (hobby lobby, michael's, etc...) you have a fine eye for this stuff, you know ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Allposters.com, dear :D and thank you.

    ReplyDelete